|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||September 5, 2017|
Senior GIS Analyst
Department of Planning and Environment
Economics, Population and Land-use Analytics Branch | GIS and Design
Job Title: Senior GIS Analyst, GIS and Design Team
Job Grade / Classification: Clerk Grade 7/8
- Do you like to create spatial data maps and visualisations?
- Are you naturally analytical with a passion for problem solving?
- Do you have skills in stakeholder engagement and a keen interest in customer service?
- Would you like to use maps, spatial data analysis and insights to shape and support planning policy and the future of NSW?
The Department of Planning & Environment is the lead NSW Government agency in planning for a growing NSW.
The Department's vision - Planning for growing NSW: inspiring strong communities, protecting our environment - provides the benchmark for our partnership and leadership approach to engaging and working collaboratively with key State and Local Government, community and industry stakeholders to deliver better outcomes in the areas of planning, local government and the environment.
About the role: Senior GIS Analyst, GIS and Design Team
We are looking for a high performer and team player to join a newly created GIS and Design team, within the Economics, Population and Land-use Analytics Branch.
The team is responsible for providing GIS and design services to various internal and external planning stakeholders to support strategic policy decision-making.
The successful candidate will use mapping, spatial data analysis and visualisation skills to help enable the planning process in Sydney and NSW. You will actively contribute to meeting the project/unit objectives including the development and delivery of mapping and spatial projects.
To be successful in the role:
- You will use your specialist expertise for integration and high-end manipulation and analysis of spatial data using GIS software.
- You will use your analytical and data visualisation skills to help develop, evaluate, make recommendations, and convey strategic policy decision-making throughout the planning process.
- You are comfortable in a fast paced, dynamic and quick turnaround work environment, working collaboratively in a small team to solve challenges.
- You have demonstrated experience in the application of relevant approaches and techniques for mapping, data analysis and data visualisation.
- You have demonstrated experience in effectively communicating complex spatial data clearly and accurately to a range of stakeholders.
- You have high level written and oral communication skills and a commitment to customer service.
- You have expertise in application of relevant approaches and techniques for manipulation and analysis of spatial data.
- You have experience in data management and governance.
- Degree qualification or higher qualification in one or more of the following areas: spatial data integration, data analysis and mapping using ArcGIS (or other GIS programs) or other relevant discipline or equivalent relevant experience with a specialisation in one of these areas.
Please click here to view role description.
Role status: This constitutes ongoing employment under section 43 of the Government Sector Employment Act 2013.
A talent pool may be created for future ongoing and temporary vacancies and is valid for a period of up to 12 months.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for temporary and/or ongoing employment within the Department of Planning & Environment, candidates must be an Australian citizen or have the status of permanent residence in Australia.
Benefits: At the Department of Planning and Environment, we offer employees challenging and rewarding work with opportunities for career progression, learning and development, and flexibility. We provide comprehensive staff training through structured programs and provide study assistance to staff pursuing work-related courses.
The Wellness Program has been established to support and promote health and wellness in the workplace. We have partnered with Live Life Get Active who provide free outdoor fitness camps every day for interested employees!
Our Commitment to Diversity: The Department of Planning and Environment values diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, culturally and linguistically diverse groups and those with disability.
How to apply: Please apply online and submit your current resume (maximum 5 pages) and a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) addressing the following two questions:
1. Outline a time when you had to undertake and/or contribute to tasks for more than one customer at the same time, and describe the methods you used to manage competing priorities, whilst working as part of a team?
2. Give an example of where you critically analysed spatial data to identify and convey a real world problem. What spatial analysis techniques did you use? What was the outcome of your analysis?
Applications must be lodged electronically via http://www.iworkfor.nsw.gov.au/ website.
For further information please contact Jillian Bywater on (02) 8289 6631.
Applications Close: Sunday, 17^th September 2017
Should you encounter any issues submitting your application online, please contact Jobs.NSW helpdesk on 1800 562 679.